- Patreon Video beta details
- How do I upload using Patreon Video?
- Troubleshooting an issue with Patreon Video
- Patreon Video previews
- Frequently asked questions about this beta
Patreon Video beta details
We are currently beta testing a Patreon video feature for creators. Here are the details to keep in mind while participating in testing:
- This feature is a beta and features will be limited
- Patreon video testing is currently a closed beta – this ensures that we can get feedback and resolve issues before releasing this feature to more creators
What will my patrons experience?
Patrons can watch your videos uploaded with Patreon Video on both desktop and the Patreon app. Video posts you publish will be accessible on patrons’ feeds and when they visit your page directly. Patrons will be able to watch your video on full screen and view the player in picture-in-picture mode on both desktop and mobile web. Patrons using a Chrome browser will be able to control the video playback speed.
How do I upload using Patreon Video?
With Patreon Video beta, you can upload your videos on desktop and mobile web. This beta is not yet available for the Patreon app.
Here’s how to upload a video using Patreon Video:
- While logged in to your creator account, click on the Posts link in the left navigation
- Then click on New from the menu
- Click on the Video button to start your post
- You can drag and drop your file or click the Select Video button
- If you are uploading on mobile web, you choose a video from your photo library, take a video using your device camera, or browse your device’s files
- While your video is being processed, you continue completing your post title and description. Once your video is processed, you can add tags or file attachments you’d like to include and let us know who can see the post
- Choose your post cover image from the video by sliding through the video (desktop)
- You can Publish now or Schedule the post to go live at a later time – you can also simply exit the post editor and we’ll save a draft for you
Troubleshooting an issue with Patreon Video
If you encounter an issue with uploading a video, please try these troubleshooting steps to minimise processing time:
- Ensure that the output file is 1080p definition or less
- Make sure that the total file bitrate is below 8mbps
- Check that your colour depth is 8-bit 4:2:0 or below
Patreon Video previews
You can showcase moments of your video posts with video previews. These preview videos will replace locked posts and will be automatically enabled for new posts on 27 July 2022 and after. You can disable this with the toggle feature on the right-hand side.
Editing your video preview
- Click Edit duration for the preview editor to appear. You’ll be able to choose a consecutive clip from a minimum of 10s to a maximum of 120s (2 minutes) from your uploaded video
- New video posts will have a 30s preview by default
- You can also customise the thumbnail by selecting a frame from the video or uploading an image of your own
- You can retroactively create a preview for an existing video post by visiting your Published posts and clicking the Edit link for a post
Video preview specifications
- Your video must be at least 2 minutes in length for a preview to be created
- Video previews cannot be created for public posts
- Videos will not be play automatically
- Consumption is limited to desktop and mobile web, native mobile is not currently supported
What file types does Patreon Video support?
We support most video formats with 1080p/2k or of smaller definition
Is there a file size limit?
There is no file size limit; however, videos **cannot exceed 12 hours** in length
What’s the quality of the video for members?
It depends on a couple of factors:
- Player size relative to video source size. For example, if the video source is 320x240 and the player size is 640x480, the player will stretch the video to fill the dimensions. In that process, the quality of the video degrades.
- The patron’s internet bandwidth
What functionality is supported in the beta?
Save play state – Now, when your patrons start watching or listening to media on the Patreon app, it will save your place and resume playing from wherever you left off once you return to the app.
Picture-in-picture – Videos will play for patrons even if they leave the app
I have a creator friend who is interested in using Patreon Video. How do I get them access? When is Patreon Video going to be available for everyone?
We’re currently testing our video solution, Patreon Video, with an invite-only group of creators. We hope to make it available to everyone by the end of this year.