We’re updating the workflow for how you publish posts and set who gets access to them. This update makes it possible for creators to grant access to posts for patrons by selecting tiers instead of dollar amount.
In this article, we’ll go over:
- How to make a post using the new workflow
- What's new with this update
- What this will mean for your existing patrons
- Suggestions for some messaging to communicate the change with your patrons
as you normally would by selecting the post icon on the navigation bar to the left. To the right of the post editor, you’ll see the option to make it public, visible to all of your patrons, or select specific tiers.
If you want your post to be accessed only by patrons in specific tiers, choose select tiers. You’ll see all of your tiers appear. Select which tiers you want to have access to the post. Select as many tiers as you’d like.
Here’s what your post will look like after it is published:
Learn more about how to make a post .
- We’re giving you more control over which patrons see your posts. With this update, you’ll set post access by selecting tiers instead of dollar amounts, so you can post exclusively to patrons in one tier, instead of that tier and everyone above it.
- You’ll no longer spam your higher-paying patrons when you make posts to deliver benefits for each tier.
- Do you have multiple projects and want to offer different benefits at the same tier level? You’ll have the option to offer content to multiple tiers at the same price. So you can have two $5 tiers offering completely different benefits!
You'll can easily view all of your patrons organized into the tier that corresponds with their payment level within the - so no more guess work on what posts different patrons can view!
So how does this impact existing patrons? Most of your patrons will continue receiving access to posts assigned to their tier as usual.
- If you select Public, anyone can see your posts even if they’re not a patron.
- If you select All Patrons, all of your paying patrons will see your post, regardless of the tier they are in, even if they selected "no reward" when they signed up.
- If you select Choose tiers, then only the patrons in the tiers you select will see your posts. That means patrons who selected "no rewards" when they pledged are not actually in a tier, and won’t see your post unless they update their settings. And patrons who are paying a higher dollar amount than the tier they signed up for will only see the post if it’s available to their tier.
If these patrons want to continue seeing your posts according to the dollar amount they are paying, they simply need to update their settings to sign up for the tier they want to be in.
If you have patrons in the "no reward" tier, or patrons who are pledging more than the tier they’re signed up for, we suggest you reach out to them to inform them of this update.
You can use the filter options in your patron relationship manager to select these patrons and send them a group message. Learn how to message multiple patrons in the patron relationship manager .
*Sample letter to “no reward” patrons*
I want give you a heads up about a change that affects your access to my future posts on Patreon. I’m messaging you because you selected “no reward” upon signing up as a patron.
Starting Nov 7th, Patreon is making an update that determines post access based on the tier you’re signed up for - not the dollar amount you’re paying. This means that you must be signed up for a tier in order to receive access to my posts.
If you’d like to keep receiving access to the same posts, you simply need to sign up for the tier matched with the amount you’re already pledging. You can sign up for the right tier by going here in your Patreon settings and it will only take a minute.
Thanks for your continued support!
*Sample letter to patrons pledging more than their tier*
I want give you a heads up about a change that affects your access to my future posts on Patreon. I’m messaging you because you’re currently pledging a higher amount than the membership tier you’re signed up for.
Starting Nov 7th, Patreon is making an update that determines post access based on the tier that you’re matched with - not the dollar amount you’re paying.
If you’d like to keep receiving access to the same posts, you simply need to sign up for the tier matched with the amount you’re already pledging. You can sign up for the right tier here in your Patreon settings and it will only take a minute.
Thanks for your continued support!
Are my old posts affected? Is this retroactive?
Nope! All of your old posts will remain the same within the old model.
Here are some additional questions you might have about this update:
Q: When is this change taking place?
A: Nov 7th
Q: Will I still have the option to select post access based on dollar amount?
A: No, you will only be able to select post access based on tier.
Q: Will selecting all patrons populate check marks in all the boxes in the post workflow?
A: Yes, all the check boxes will be populated when you select all patrons.
Q: If I have patrons paying less than $1, will they still receive access to my “all patrons” posts?
A:Yes, any patrons paying less than $1, or patrons not signed up for a tier, will receive access when you post to all patrons.
Q: Can creators move patrons into tiers?
A: No, they cannot. You'll need to request your patrons do this themselves.
Q: Will Patreon email my patrons to notify them of this change?
A: We will not, but we’ve provided you with sample messages to send your patrons (please see above.)
Q: Where do I send my patrons to join a new tier?
A: Patrons can find this in the payment flow here: https://patreon.com/pledges
You can also send this help center article detailing how to edit their membership.
Q: Can people sign up for multiple tiers that add up to their membership?
A: Patrons can only sign up for one tier.