In this article, we’ll go through:
- Privacy settings for YouTube videos
- Privacy settings for Vimeo videos
- What to do if your video shows an error when played (YouTube)
“Video unavailable” for mobile
YouTube adds licenses to videos that contain licensed music. Doing this allows YouTube to keep your video up, and not remove the videos for licensing violations. This also means the videos will not play in embeds such as our Patreon iOS app.
Note: Patrons using Android devices will not run into this issue. Android opens YouTube videos in the YouTube app, so there’s no issue with embedding.
Can I fix this?
Privacy settings for YouTube
With YouTube, we recommend publishing your video as Unlisted. Additionally, there are a couple of default Advanced settings that you'll want to keep as-is (below):
- Keep the License and rights ownership field on the default Standard YouTube License. If you change this, your videos will not play on Desktop or on the app for patrons.
- In the Distribution options setting be sure to leave Allow embedding checked.
Note: If you're seeing that your video is "Unavailable" on the app in particular, you'll want to double check your licensing on YouTube. YouTube may add additional copyright licensing to a video that uses music from different artists. This license prevents embedded players within apps from playing these videos outside of their own app or website. You can learn more about music in videos hosted by YouTube, .
Privacy settings for Vimeo
1. In the Who can watch? field, we recommend selecting either: Anyone, or People with the private link. If you select any of the other options in the Who can watch field, be sure to whitelist the domain patreon.com, so that embedded videos can be played. Read through #2 for more details.
If you pay for Vimeo, you may also have the option to whitelist your video only for patreon.com. To do this, select the option to allow embedding on Specific domains, you'll want to add www.patreon.com as a domain (click the + sign to add it).
Here's what it will look like once you've given patreon.com permission to embed your video. Once added, it will appear under the field where you can remove the permission by clicking the "x".