Welcome to Patreon!
Patreon is a global company. By using our platform, you agree that your personal information that you provide directly to us or that we collect through your use of the platform, may be transferred to and stored in the United States and handled as described in this Policy.
Information You Provide Through Your Account
This is information that you provide to us through text fields, such as your name, payment information and benefits. The information we collect differs depending on if you make an account, become a patron, or become a creator.
- Email address
- State and Country of Residence.
You may also sign up using a Facebook or Google account. We will ask permission to access basic information from your Facebook or Google account, such as your name, email, and profile picture. You can choose to stop sharing that information with us at any time by going to Facebook or Google to remove Patreon’s access to that account and your ability to log in.
You also have the option to add more information to your public profile, such as a location, social media links and an about section, which we store along with any comments or messages you submit on Patreon.
We collect and process information about the creators you support, the level at which you support them, what benefits you receive and how often you support them. As a patron, if you select a benefit tier with a physical benefit, then you have to provide your shipping information so the creator can ship you the benefit.
A creator is someone who creates and provides content for their patrons through Patreon’s membership platform. To become a creator, you must create a page that describes what you are creating and any benefits you are offering. To receive payouts you have to create an account with one of our payment partners: PayPal, Stripe, or Payoneer. We may also require your bank account information to process payouts. You must also provide us with additional information for tax purposes. Depending on your location you may have to fill out a form with some combination of your:
- Legal name
- Social security number or employer identification number
- Country of citizenship
- Foreign tax identification number
- Date of birth
- Your nonprofit registration number, if you are a nonprofit business
Additional Information We Collect
Automatically Collected Information:
We collect information automatically as you navigate the site or through our third party analytics providers. We may store usage information such as the type of device you use to access Patreon, your operating system, browser type, IP address, and device ID, the pages you visit or request, links clicked, referring sites, user interactions and your search terms. We also derive your location from your self-disclosed country, your IP address, and from your payment card.
Forums and Messaging:
From time to time, we may solicit your participation in user surveys. To the extent that you participate, we will store your responses.
At in-person events, we may request information from you. This is done to better tailor the event experience to those in attendance. This information may include your name, email address, payment details, mobile phone number and QR code, social media and other online accounts you maintain, details around the types of works you create, and survey or feedback responses.
Information Collected by Third Parties
Social Media Features and Widgets
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/privacy
- YouTube: https://policies.google.com/privacy
- Instagram: https://help.instagram.com/155833707900388
How We Use Your Information
We process your information to:
- verify your identity to comply with federal laws
- provide Patreon services to you
- allow you to sign in to your account
- allow you to join a creator’s membership program on Patreon
- process a creator’s membership payments
- send you emails relevant to your usage, as controlled by your email preferences
- reply to your questions
- market Patreon to you, as controlled by your email preferences
- understand how you use the service and create better tools for creators to serve patrons
- conduct research and development to improve Patreon and develop future products
- prevent fraud and abuse on Patreon
- ship merchandise to you if a benefit includes it
- allow us to provide you with reasonable accommodation, if you notify us of a disability
Information We Share with Creators
By becoming a patron of a creator, you agree to have the following information shared with that creator:
- your name and email address, and other profile information you’ve provided
- any messages you send creators through Patreon
- your physical address, city, state, country, and phone number, if you have signed up for a benefit that requires shipping
- all information about your pledge, including amount and start date, but not your full payment card information
- some aggregated and anonymized data about how you use Patreon that cannot be linked back to you or to any individual user
Creators agree to the terms of our Data Processing Agreement (DPA) when they start their membership program. This DPA is called the Creator Privacy Promise. The Creator Privacy Promise is a Creator’s promise to protect the privacy of patrons during and beyond their Patreon relationship. You can view a copy of the Creator Privacy Promise here.
Information We Share with Third Parties
We never sell your information to third parties. We will only share data with third parties, other than with Creators, under the following circumstances:
- with your consent, with service providers used by creators to deliver benefits, such as to ship packages to you. You should read these service providers’ privacy policies to see how they use and share your data.
- with our service providers, who are companies that are contractually engaged with us to provide us with services, such as order fulfillment, email management, analyzing data trends, credit card processing and fraud detection and prevention. These companies may have access to your data to perform their services, and are obligated by contract to safeguard any of your data they receive from us to the same extent that Patreon protects it.
- to protect the security or integrity of Patreon, and to protect the rights, property, or safety of Patreon, its employees, users, or others, if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation, or other valid legal process (e.g., subpoenas or warrants served on Patreon). If we are going to release your data, we will do our best to provide you with notice in advance by email, unless we are prohibited by law from doing so.
- with third party apps used by creators to help run their membership programs. There is a list of apps in our apps directory. While we try to keep this list up to date, we often experiment with new third party app providers, and this list may not be exhaustive.
- with partners in our Partners Directory, who may have access to your data to perform their services, and who are obligated by contract to safeguard any of your data they receive from us to the same extent that Patreon protects it.
Information Patreon Collects from Third Party Apps
When you create a Patreon account, you can elect to connect your social account(s) (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Google, YouTube, Twitch) with Patreon, and we will collect and store some social information from those platforms, such as:
- follower or subscriber counts,
- post or upload counts,
- view, like, and comment counts.
This social information allows us to provide you a better Patreon experience, and also helps guide future development of Patreon. We use this data to:
- help creators and patrons find each other on Patreon
- assess how to make creators more successful on Patreon
- analyze and describe our business
Information We Share with the Public
The following information is publicly accessible:
- your profile, and your social media links and location if you add that information
- by default the creators you support are publicly displayed. If you flag your account as private, we will not display the creators you support
- any posts, likes, or comments you make
- your aggregated or anonymized usage data in blog posts, press releases, or in other ways to share information about Patreon’s usage. Aggregated or anonymized data cannot be linked back to any individual Patreon user.
- monthly pledge value and goals that creators choose to make public
- number of patrons
Your Preferences and Rights over Data
Choosing Your Preferences
The Settings link is located by clicking on your avatar or profile at the top right hand of your screen. Settings lets you see your account preferences. You can see and adjust your settings by viewing your preferences and, if you wish, by changing your selections.
We do not send marketing emails unless you explicitly consent to receiving them. These marketing emails do not require a Patreon account. You may object to the use of your data for direct marketing purposes at any time, free of charge, when we collect your personal information and in every marketing communication. We will never provide your information to third parties for marketing purposes without your prior consent.
Accessing, Updating or Exporting the Information in Your Account
You can access and update certain information associated with your account on the settings pages. Additionally, you can modify or delete your account, or export your personal information, by going to privacy.patreon.com.
Disabling or Deleting Your Account
You can disable your account if you go to your account settings while you are logged into Patreon. Click the “Disable My Account” link to have your account immediately disabled and removed from public view. Please be aware that this is a final act and you cannot log into your account again after clicking this link. When you disable your account, we immediately remove your ability to log in. Even if an account is disabled, some information may be retained by our analytics providers on their own servers. You may also self-initiate a deletion of your account directly at privacy.patreon.com. To delete a previously-disabled account, please contact email@example.com.
Turning off Email Notifications
You can change your email notifications in your email settings. While this allows you to stop many notification emails, we will still send some critical service emails.
Turning off Mobile Notifications
If you download the Patreon App you may also receive notifications on your mobile device. These can be disabled in the App settings.
VERIFICATION OF REQUESTS
Users maintain password protected accounts with Patreon. If you submit a request to exercise your privacy rights, you will be asked to verify the request by logging into your Patreon account.
If we are unable to verify your request, then for your protection, we reserve the right to deny the request.
Compliance with EU Privacy Laws and Privacy Shield
Patreon is an international company that complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We act as Data Controllers, as defined under the GDPR, and process personal data based on our legitimate interests, and for contractual necessity in providing you the Service as described in “How We Use Your Information.” We also process and share personal information based on notification and users’ consent, which our users may revoke at any time. We apply the same principles of privacy protection to all of our users, not just to data subjects in the EU and UK.
Compliance with California Privacy Laws
Patreon’s headquarters are located in California, USA, and we are subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act.
Effective January 1, 2020, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) allows California residents to request access to the specific pieces and categories of personal information that the business has collected about the consumer, the categories of sources for that information, the business or commercial purposes for collecting the information, and the categories of third parties with which the information was shared. Patreon provides you the right to view, access, modify, or transport your information at https://privacy.patreon.com. California residents also have the right to submit a request for deletion of information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unable to log into and access your personal information on Patreon, and are unable to recover your account with a password reset in order to lodge your request for personal information or for disabling or deleting your account, you may reach out to email@example.com. We reserve the right to decline you access or recovery at our discretion to prevent an unauthorized takeover of your account.
Exercising Your Data Rights
Users in certain locations may have certain rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) regarding data that Patreon controls as a Data Controller as defined under the GDPR, including:
- the right of access to their personal data;
- the right to correct or rectify any inaccurate personal data;
- the right to restrict or oppose the processing of personal data;
- the right to erase or delete their personal data;
- the right to personal data portability; and
- the right to opt-out of the sale of personal information.
You can exercise rights over your data on Patreon in the following ways:
By calling our toll-free phone number: 1-833-972-8766
By emailing Patreon: firstname.lastname@example.org
By physical mail: Patreon, Privacy Team, 600 Townsend Street, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94103
By going online and editing, disabling, deleting, or exporting your data yourself here.
Account Holders with Disabilities
Patreon is committed to accessibility for its account holders with disabilities. If you have a disability and are having difficulty accessing our systems to modify, transport, or delete part of or all of your account, please email us at email@example.com for assistance.
Contacting our Data Protection Officers
If you have privacy concerns or questions, you can contact our European or US Data Protection Officers (DPOs) via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by sending a letter to Patreon Data Privacy Officer, 600 Townsend Street, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94103.
Establishing an Authorized Agent
You may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. In order to designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, you must provide a valid power of attorney, the requester’s valid government ID, and the authorized agent’s valid government ID. Please contact email@example.com with your request. To protect your information from account takeover, we may decline access to or recovery of your account at our discretion.
Prohibition against Discrimination
We do not discriminate against users who exercise their privacy rights.
Our Data Retention Period
We retain your information for ten years after your account is last active, unless you delete, or you request us to delete, your account.
The security of your personal information is important to us and we follow industry standards to protect it. You can learn more on our Security Policy page.
Patreon is not directed at children under the age of 13, and children may not create an account or otherwise use Patreon.
We may sometimes make changes to this policy. If we make material changes that adversely affect your rights under this policy, we will let you know by posting an announcement on the site or sending you an email in advance of the changes coming into effect. Continuing to use Patreon after a change to this policy means you accept the new policy. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective immediately for users joining Patreon on or after December 31st, 2019.
Effective for existing users on December 31st, 2019.