We know that messaging is an important part of the creator to patron relationship. We’re making some exciting updates to private messaging on Patreon – now it’ll be easier than ever to connect with your most engaged fans and seamlessly deliver benefits, all from your Patron relationship manager and Inbox.
So what’s changing? Feel free to read this guide start to finish, or click through the links below to skip ahead!
In early December 2020 the following changes will be available:
- Threaded messages: one thread for each patron 🧵
- Search for a thread by patron name 🔍
- Patron info available in private messages 📈
- Changes to bulk messaging view 📦
- Starting a new conversation 🗒
Now your conversation with each patron live in a single message thread. You’ll have one thread for each patron you have direct messages with. Scroll through a message thread with a patron to view your message history with them.
Below are before and after comparison images. The before image (left) demonstrates how you can have several different messages with the same patron. The after image (right) shows the new threaded message experience – this simplified view ensures your conversations are easy to manage and follow-up on!
Search through your messages
We received a lot of great feedback about messaging from creators, and one of the most commonly requested features was the ability to search for messages. The days of hunting down lost threads are long gone – now you can search your inbox by patron username to quickly pick up conversations right where you left off.
Patron information in private messages
Information is powerful; knowing the billing history for a patron can be super helpful in prioritizing responses, or sharing benefits via messages. Length of patronage, current pledge amount, and lifetime paid by a patron will all be available directly in your message threads with patrons.
Changes to bulk messaging view
Now that conversations with each patron are kept in their own message thread, bulk messages will populate differently in your creator Inbox. Instead of one message thread for your bulk message, you’ll see a thread created for each patron who received the message. So responses will be kept private.
Previously, bulk messages appeared in one thread in your Inbox, regardless of the number of recipients. While the messages were delivered in each patrons’ inbox separately, only one thread existed for creators. This made it tricky to keep track of responses from individual patrons and responses meant to be private could be sent out to the entire message group.
You can search by patron name to easily find the right conversations. The creator to patron conversation is more personable, even when you’re being efficient.
Starting a new conversation with a patron on Desktop
You can start a new message by searching for a patron’s name in your inbox or from your Patron relationship manager.
Here’s how to start a new message thread from your Patron Relationship Manager:
- Log in to your Patreon account, and click the Patrons button from the creator navigation. Then, click on “Relationship manager” from the list (2nd item in the list).
- Search a patron by their profile name or email in the search box, or use the filters to parse through your patron list.
- Click on the patron from the list and click the Message button.
- Click into the “Write a message” text box and type up your message.
- Click the Send button when you’re ready.
And, here’s how to start a new message from your inbox:
- While logged in, click the bar that says “search or start a new conversation.”
- Type the name of the patron and hit the “enter” or “return” key.
- Then click on the patron’s name to open the message creator and start your conversation.
All existing message threads will live in your Inbox, so once you’ve sent your message, you can follow up with patrons from your Inbox.