Welcome to Patreon!
Patreon is a global company. By using our platform, you agree that your personal information that you provide directly to us, or that we collect through your use of the platform, may be transferred to and stored in the United States and handled as described in this Policy.
Information You Provide Through Your Account
This is information that you provide to us through text fields, such as your name, payment information and benefits. The information we collect differs depending on if you make an account, become a patron or become a creator.
- First and Surname
- Email address
- State and Country of Residence.
You may also sign up using a Facebook or Google account. We will ask for permission to access basic information from your Facebook or Google account, such as your name, email and profile picture. You can choose to stop sharing that information with us at any time by going to Facebook or Google to remove Patreon’s access to that account and your ability to log in.
You also have the option to add more information to your public profile, such as a location, social media links, and an about section, which we store along with any comments or messages you submit on Patreon.
We collect and process information about the creators you support, the level at which you support them, what benefits you receive and how often you support them. As a patron, if you select a benefit tier with a physical benefit, then you will provide your shipping information, including phone number, so the creator or Patreon can ship you the benefit or provide updates related to the shipment.
A creator is someone who creates and provides content for their patrons through Patreon’s membership platform. To become a creator, you must create a page that describes what you are creating and any benefits you are offering. To receive payouts you have to create an account with one of our payment partners: PayPal, Stripe or Payoneer. We may also require your bank account information to process payouts. You must also provide us with additional information for tax purposes. Depending on your location you may have to fill out a form with some combination of your:
- First and Surname
- Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number
- Country of citizenship
- Foreign tax identification number
- Date of birth
- Your nonprofit registration number, if you are a nonprofit business
- Bank account information for payouts
- Phone Number
Additional Information We Collect
Automatically Collected Information
We collect information automatically as you navigate the site or through our third party analytics providers. We may store usage information such as the type of device you use to access Patreon, your operating system, browser type, IP address, device ID, the pages you visit or request, links clicked, referring sites, user interactions and your search terms. We also derive your location from your self-disclosed country, your IP address and your payment card.
Forums and Messaging
When you participate in a forum, we collect the comments you make as well as record how many times users visit, the activity on the site, where users have replied, with whom they’ve communicated, private messages, IP address and from which location the user was last logged in. We use Discourse and Discord to help us host and operate our Forums. This means that they may access your information to help provide the Forum. You can find their privacy policies hyperlinked above.
From time to time, we may solicit your participation in user surveys. In order to better understand and serve our user base, we may ask you for demographic information, including information related to your gender, ethnicity, race, age, sexual orientation, earnings and accessibility, which you may choose to share or not. We collect such information to ensure we provide fair and equal access to our services and to showcase creators to patrons for better discoverability. To the extent that you participate, we will store your survey responses.
At in-person and online events, we may request information from you. This is done to better tailor the event experience to those attending. This information may include your name, email address, payment details, mobile phone number and QR code, demographic information, social media and other online accounts you maintain, details around the types of works you create, and survey or feedback responses.
We may collect and store your email address, your comments, and your profile information from our blog sites to better understand your interests and improve our services to you.
Information Collected by Third Parties
Social Media Features and Widgets
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/privacy
- YouTube: https://policies.google.com/privacy
- Instagram: https://help.instagram.com/155833707900388
- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/p/legal/privacy-notice/
How We Use Your Information
We process your information to:
- verify your identity to comply with US federal, state and international laws
- allow you to sign in to your account
- allow you to support a creator’s membership programme on Patreon
- process membership payments and payouts
- send merchandise to your shipping address
- send you emails relevant to your usage, as controlled by your email preferences
- reply to your questions
- provide to you existing and enhanced services related to your Patreon account
- promote your Patreon account for greater discoverability
- spotlight and celebrate creators
- market Patreon products and services to you or to audiences similar to you based on your networks and common factors that others have with you, unless you opt out, as controlled by your email preferences
- understand how you use the service, and create better tools for creators to serve patrons
- conduct research and development to improve Patreon and develop future products
- prevent fraud and abuse on Patreon
- provide you with reasonable accommodation, if you notify us of a disability
Information We Share with Creators
By becoming a patron of a creator, you agree to have the following information shared with that creator:
- your name and email address and other profile information you’ve provided
- any messages you send creators through Patreon
- your physical address, city, state and country
- your phone number, when you have signed up to support a creator who engages with you by text messages, when you are receiving a benefit that requires shipping or when you have signed up for event notifications by text.
- all information about your pledge, including amount and start date, but not your full payment card information
- some aggregated and anonymised data about how you use Patreon that cannot be linked back to you or to any individual user
Creators agree to the terms of our Data Processing Agreement (DPA) when they start their membership programme. This DPA is called the Creator Privacy Promise. The Creator Privacy Promise is a creator’s promise to protect the privacy of their patrons during and beyond their Patreon relationship. You can view a copy of the Creator Privacy Promise here.
Information We Share with Third Parties
We never sell your information to third parties. We will only share data with third parties, other than with creators, under the following circumstances:
- with your consent, to creators’ service providers, to deliver benefits, such as to ship packages to you. You should read these service providers’ privacy policies to find how they use and share your data.
- with our service providers, who are companies that are contractually engaged with us to provide us with services, such as order fulfilment, email management, analysing data trends, credit card processing, multi currency settlement solutions, increasing our brand awareness and user engagement with marketing initiatives, and fraud detection and prevention. These companies may have access to your data to perform their services and are obligated by contract to safeguard any of the data they receive from us to the same extent that Patreon protects it.
- to protect the security or integrity of Patreon, and to protect the rights, property or safety of Patreon, its employees, users or others, if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or another valid legal process (e.g. subpoenas or warrants served on Patreon). If we are going to release your data, we will do our best to provide you promptly with notice by email, unless we are prohibited by law from doing so.
- with third party apps used by creators to help run their membership programmes. There is a list of apps in our apps directory. While we try to keep this list up to date, we often experiment with new third-party app providers and this list may not be exhaustive.
- with partners in our Partners Directory, who may have access to your data to perform their services, and who are obligated by contract to safeguard any of your data they receive from us to the same extent that Patreon protects it.
Information Patreon Collects from Third-party Apps
When you create a Patreon account, you can elect to connect your social account(s) (e.g. Twitter, Facebook, Google, YouTube, Twitch) with Patreon and we will collect and store some social information from those platforms, such as:
- follower or subscriber counts,
- post or upload counts,
- view, like and comment counts.
This social information allows us to provide you a better Patreon experience and also helps guide the future development of Patreon. We use this data to:
- help creators and patrons find each other on Patreon
- assess how to make creators more successful on Patreon
- analyse and describe our business
Information We Share with the Public
The following information is publicly accessible:
- your profile, and your social media links and location if you add that information
- by default, the creators you support are publicly displayed. If you flag your account as private, we will not display the creators you support
- any posts, likes, or comments you make
- your aggregated or anonymised usage data in blog posts, press releases or in other ways to share information about Patreon’s usage. Aggregated or anonymised data cannot be linked back to any individual Patreon user.
- monthly pledge value and goals that creators choose to make public
- number of patrons
Your Preferences and Rights over Data
Choosing Your Preferences
The Settings link is located by clicking on your avatar or profile at the top right hand of your screen, after your log into your Patreon account. Settings lets you find your account preferences. You can find and adjust your settings by viewing your preferences and, if you wish, by changing your selections.
- provide you with information about your service, service enhancements or new Patreon products, while you are on our web site or using our apps.
- send you messages regarding your existing service, or enhancements related to your existing service, when you are off our platform, by email or by text, if you have signed up for a service or event notification that uses text messages.
- send you messages related to services we provide that are separate from your existing service by email, from which you may opt out.
- market Patreon to you and audiences similar to you based on your networks and common factors that others have with you unless you opt out
- to send you marketing emails or texts if you don’t have a Patreon account but have consented to receive such messages, from which you may opt out.
- ask for demographic information to spotlight and celebrate creators
- promote your account for greater discoverability
- ship physical items to you by post as part of a promotional activity
Opting out of Marketing
You may object to the use of your data for marketing purposes at any time, free of charge, when we collect your personal information and in every marketing communication. You may also object to the use of your data for marketing upon creation of your account or anytime thereafter by opting out here.
Opting out will stop marketing emails. Please allow up to 30 days for your opt-out request to be processed. If you have an account with Patreon, you will continue to receive service-related emails and texts if you have opted into receiving texts. You will also continue to receive service-related shipments of benefits to the designated delivery address.
We will never sell your information to third parties for marketing purposes without your prior consent.
Accessing, Updating or Exporting the Information in Your Account
You can access and update certain information associated with your account on the settings pages. Additionally, you can delete your account or export your personal information by going to privacy.patreon.com.
Deleting Your Account
You may self-initiate a deletion of your account directly at privacy.patreon.com by clicking on the Take Control button and submitting an “Erase” request. Please be aware that this action is final and cannot be reversed. If you would like to transport your data, please be sure to download your data first before you delete your account.
Turning off Email Notifications
You can change your email notifications in your email settings. While this allows you to stop many notification emails, we will still send some critical service emails.
Turning off Mobile Notifications
If you download the Patreon App you may also receive notifications on your mobile device. These can be disabled in the App settings.
Verification of Requests
Users maintain password protected accounts with Patreon. If you submit a request to exercise your privacy rights, you will be asked to verify the request by logging into your Patreon account.
If we are unable to verify your request, then for your protection, we reserve the right to deny the request.
Compliance with EU Privacy Laws and Privacy Shield
Patreon is an international company that complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We act as Data Controllers, as defined under the GDPR, and process personal data based on our legitimate interests, and for contractual necessity in providing you the Service as described in “How We Use Your Information”. We also process and share personal information based on notification and users’ consent, which our users may revoke at any time.
Compliance with California Privacy Laws
Patreon’s headquarters are located in California, USA and we are subject to the California Consumer Privacy Act.
Effective from 1 January 2020, the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) allows California residents to request access to the specific pieces and categories of personal information that the business has collected about the consumer, the categories of sources for that information, the business or commercial purposes for collecting the information and the categories of third parties with which the information was shared.
Patreon grants California residents and all users the right to view, access or transport their information at the Patreon Privacy Centre. All users also have the right to submit a request for deletion of information by going to the Patreon Privacy Centre, clicking on the “Take Control” button and requesting “Erase”.
Exercising Your Data Rights
Users in certain locations may have certain rights under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) or under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) regarding data that Patreon controls as a Data Controller as defined under the GDPR, including:
- the right of access to their personal data;
- the right to correct or rectify any inaccurate personal data;
- the right to restrict or oppose the processing of personal data;
- the right to erase or delete their personal data;
- the right to personal data portability; and
- the right to opt-out of the sale of personal information.
You can exercise rights over your data on Patreon in the following ways:
- accessing, reviewing, modifying and updating your data by logging into your account at Patreon and going to your account settings.
- downloading your data to port it or deleting your data altogether, by clicking on the “Take Control” button at the Patreon Privacy Centre.
- deleting a previously-disabled account by emailing Patreon at email@example.com.
- opting out of marketing by entering your email address at this opt out link.
- going to FAQ support online for data-related issues or calling our US freephone number at 1 (833) 972-8766.
- If you are unable to log into your account and are unable to recover your account with a password reset in order to lodge your privacy request, then you may reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We reserve the right to decline your access to or recovery of your account, at our discretion, to prevent an unauthorised takeover of your account.
Account Holders with Disabilities
Patreon is committed to accessibility for its account holders with disabilities. If you are having difficulty accessing your account, please email us at email@example.com for assistance.
Contacting our Data Protection Officers
If you have privacy concerns or questions, you can contact our European or US Data Protection Officers (DPOs) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also post a letter to the DPO with your questions.
- For US users, post should be sent to “Patreon Privacy Team, 600 Townsend Street, Suite 500, San Francisco, CA 94103”
- For EU users, post to “Patreon Privacy Team, Patreon Ireland Limited, Suite 3, One Earlsfort Centre, Lower Hatch Street, Dublin 2, Ireland”
Establishing an Authorised Agent
You may designate an authorised agent to make a request on your behalf. In order to designate an authorised agent to make a request on your behalf, you must provide a valid power of attorney, the requester’s valid government ID and the authorised agent’s valid government ID. Please contact email@example.com with your request. To protect your information from account takeover, we may decline access to or recovery of your account at our discretion.
Prohibition against Discrimination
We do not discriminate against users who exercise their privacy rights.
Our Data Retention Period
We retain your account information for ten years after your account is last active unless you delete or you request us to delete your account. We may continue to retain some information even after you delete your account if we are required to do so in order to comply with various laws.
The security of your personal information is important to us and we follow industry standards to protect it. You can learn more on our Security Policy page.
Patreon is not directed at children under the age of 13, and children may not create an account or otherwise use Patreon.
We may sometimes make changes to this policy. If we make material changes that adversely affect your rights under this policy, we will let you know by posting an announcement on the site or sending you an email in advance of the changes coming into effect. Continuing to use Patreon after a change to this policy means you accept the new policy. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective immediately for existing users and users joining Patreon on or after 24 July 2020.
Mit sofortiger Wirkung gültig für bestehende Nutzer und für Nutzer, die Patreon am oder nach dem 20 Juli 2020 beitreten.
Die alte Datenschutzrichtlinie finden Sie hire.