Tiers and thus benefits are available to creators on our Pro and Premium platform plans.
This article will cover how to add benefits, how to limit the number of patrons in a given tier, how to ask patrons for their delivery addresses and how to set up Discord roles to a tier.
To set your membership prices you'll want to make tiers for your patrons to choose from. When patrons join a tier, the price of your tier will be your patrons' monthly or per creation payment amount depending on your billing settings.
Feel free to skip ahead using the section links below:
Already created your tiers and benefits? Read more about managing your benefits.
How to make your first tier
While logged in to your creator account, go through the following:
- If you aren’t already on your page, click the My page button from the left sidebar navigation
- Click the Page controls or “...” button on your page, then select the Edit Tiers link from the menu
- Click the Add tier button to make your first custom tier. Use one of our templated tiers to help you get started or start from scratch
- Customise your tier! Give your tier a price, title, benefits and description of what patrons can expect
Elements of creator/editing your tier
- Tier name (required): potential patrons will see this name when they join your page. This name will help you identify patrons in your Relationship manager – this is also how we count patrons in your Membership dashboards
Tier price (required): the monthly or per creation price patrons will pay
Tier description (optional): here, you can share a bit about what this tier will receive, or what it means to you to have patrons join. It’s an optional element of your tier and you can always add a description later
- Tier cover image (optional): you can get as silly or literal as you want with your cover image. Show your personality, whether that be examples of your work, fun illustrative adaptions of your tier names or a goofy GIF – be your authentic self
- Tier benefits (required): tell your patrons what they’ll get when they join your tier! Monthly behind-the-scenes videos? The first draft of a chapter? The benefits you add here will be displayed in the tier option. In many locations, we’re required to add tax to patrons’ membership payments depending on the benefits the patron receives. We take a creator-first approach, and add tax based on the benefits you add to your tiers and each patron’s location. So, you’ll need to add at least one benefit to each tier, even if it’s just General support – visit our About Advanced Sales Tax Settings article to learn more about what’s taxable
Advanced tier options (optional): in this section, you can
- Collect patrons’ shipping addresses for physical benefits
- Limit the number of patrons who can join the tier
- Add Discord roles
- Configure sales tax
Now, let’s add benefits to your tier 🎁
Benefits are what patrons receive for joining a specific tier and paying on their specified plan cadence. You can add multiple benefits to tiers or keep it simple with fewer, big-impact benefits.
Your benefits can be physical things like merch (stickers, t-shirts, etc.), postcards or a collectible item. Benefits can also be digital like Livestream attendance or a mention in the credits of your upcoming video. As a brainstorming exercise, ask yourself: what’s something unique to me that I can offer patrons?
Here’s how to get started with your first benefit:
- Head to your Membership tiers editor page and locate the tier you’ll add your benefit to
- Click the Edit tier button
- In the Tier benefits section, click the Add benefit button.
You can choose from benefits you have already added, browse recommended benefits or create a custom benefit
- If you choose to create a custom benefit, a form will populate where you can fill in the benefit title and category. Once you’ve added a title and category, click the Add benefit button
- If you launched your page on or after 20 May 2020, you can drag benefits to reorder them in the order you want them to appear on your tier description
- Click the Save button to finalise the process
Need to remove a benefit from your tiers? Here is a step-by-step guide: Deleting benefits from tiers
Advanced tier options
The Advanced tier settings are 100% optional. We recommend reading through these options to find what might work for you.
Limit the number of patrons who can join
You can limit the number of patrons who can join your tiers. Simply click the Patron limit checkbox and enter the maximum number of patrons who can join your tier.
Are you sending patrons physical benefits? Collect patrons' shipping address
Planning on adding physical benefits in the future? Ask for your patrons' shipping addresses now. You can add this requirement to your tier later. That said, existing patrons' will need to edit their pledge to add this information.
You'll already need a Discord account and server set up before connecting in your Tier. Once you've done that, you can connect to Discord and add roles directly from the individual tiers.
The sales tax settings give you control over how sales tax and other similar taxes around the world such as VAT, JCT, GST and QST are applied to your membership. By using these tax settings, you will give us further details on exactly what benefits you offer and how much those things should be valued for VAT purposes. To learn more about these tax settings, please check advanced sales tax settings.
Not ready to publish your tier?
If you’re working on a tier but aren’t quite ready for it to be live, you can always unpublish it once you've saved your changes. Once you’ve saved your tier:
- Click the Edit tier button
- Scroll to the bottom and click the Show more tier options or "..." button
- Click the Unpublish tier button. Your tier will still be editable, but it won’t populate on your page for patrons to choose from