In this article, we'll guide you through what to do if you receive an email from our payout processing partner, Stripe, asking you to upload a form of government issued ID. This email is legitimate and is a requirement from Stripe in order to send your direct deposit payouts.
Here's what we'll go through:
- Why ID verification is required for direct deposit
- Verification document requirements
- How to upload your verification document
Why do I need to provide identification?
Stripe has responsibilities to their financial partners that involve verifying your identity and confirming the legitimacy of your business. In some cases, Stripe may need to collect a bit more information from you to ensure we can continue making transfers to your bank account.
In order to get you fully up and running with your Stripe account, you may need to upload a scan, or photograph of a government-issued photo ID (driving licence or passport). Once you do so, it will take Stripe 3–5 business days for Stripe to verify your identity.
Verification document requirements
- Colour scan/high-quality photograph
- Front and back of of government-issued photo ID (if applicable) on one file
Uploading your verification document
To upload your required verification documents, log in to your Patreon creator page account and follow these steps:
- Click on the gear icon from the left-hand menu.
- Click on Payouts and Taxes from the top menu bar. Here's the direct page link: Creator payout settings link.
- Select Click here in the yellow message at the button of the Payout methods section.
- Scroll down and click Add verification document to upload your document.
The information you are providing to us is not stored on Patreon and is securely kept with Stripe. You can learn more about how they secure and encrypt that data here: Information about Stripe Security.
If you have trouble uploading your verification documents or are having trouble getting verified, please reach out directly to our support team.