Discourse is a powerful tool that makes it easy to run and manage a patron-only community forum. Patreon has an integration with Discourse that automatically adds/removes patrons based on their membership access.
- How to set up your Discourse account
- How to set connect the Discourse integration with Patreon
- How do my patrons join Discourse?
- Email address
- Subdomain or domain. If you do not self-host your own domain, select the box next to “I need a temporary domain” and enter the subdomain you’d like to use. If you host your own domain, you can use that as well and it will be free.
- Community name (you can change this in the future!)
- Choose a language
- Add a community name – you can always edit this in the future.
- Add a description for your community – this is like your “elevator pitch” and will be the first thing that new arrivals to your community will read.
- Set your access – you can choose whether your community is public or private. If you choose public, everyone can access your forum even if they are not logged in. If you choose Private, only those logged in can find your forum. You have the option to create private categories for your patrons. You can also turn on the option to have people explicitly invited to your community. Please note that if you do this, you will have to send the invites to each person on your end.
- Contact information – this includes the email address for the person in charge of this community, general contact web page (for example, this could be your website or your Patreon page) and the user from which automated messages are sent).
- Organisation information – if you have a company, please enter your company name, governing law and city for disputes. If you don’t have a company, you can skip this step.
- Theme – select the colour theme, logos, icons, homepage format and emoji style you prefer to use for your community.
- Invite staff – if you have other individuals on your team that would need to moderate the community, you can invite them during this time as well.
- Patron Client ID
- Patron Client Secret
- Patreon Webhook Secret
- Patreon Creator Access Token
- Patreon Creator Refresh token
Open an incognito tab and paste your Discourse community URL and select the With Patreon button to log in using your Patreon credentials.
Enter your login information and select allow when you are taken to the Oauth window. If your patron doesn't have a Discourse account, they will be asked to create one at this point.