We are currently Beta testing Annual memberships, and it is not available to all creators.
- How annual billing works
- Managing annual patrons
- Annual memberships on your Income reports
- Patrons making changes to their membership
- Refunding annual patrons
How does billing work for my annual patrons?
- Example: A patron confirms an annual membership with you on January 8th, 2021. They are charged immediately, and instantly have access to your back catalog of content for their selected tier. Their annual membership will automatically renew on February 1st, 2022, unless they cancel. Their annual charge will occur on the 1st of February every year until they cancel.
Managing annual patrons
- Example: Will joins your tier at $28.80 for an annual membership on May 3rd, 2020. Will populates in your as an “Active” patron as soon as their payment processes. Will appears in your “Active” patron list through May 2021. When you download the CSV file of your manager report, you’ll see Will as “Active” during that year, with a “Last charge date” of May 3rd, 2020.
When you download the CSV version of this page, patrons with an annual membership will appear as “Active,” and their “Last charge date” will be the date they joined, or upgraded their membership.
- Important Note: if you currently use the older version of the PM, you’ll want to refer to the newer version of the Patron manager to filter by monthly and annual patrons.
If you download the Patron manager report and plug it into another software, please note that we’ve added a column, “Charge frequency,” to the CSV report. Column “O” is “Charge frequency,” and column “P” is now “Complete” on the updated CSV report.
Benefits being managed
Annual memberships on my Income reports
- Example: Joe joins your tier at $19.20 for an annual membership on August 5th, 2020, and is charged immediately. You will see Joe’s payment reflected in your August, 2020 report. While Joe will be an active patron through August 2021, his payment of $19.20 will only be reported in the month his payment processed – August 2020.
- Example: Sally joins your tier at $9.60 for an annual membership on January 13th, 2020. On your , Sally will be represented in the “New Paying Patrons” column of your Patronage page for January 2020. After that she will no longer be accounted for on your Patronage dashboard.
If you download the CSV of your , Sally’s “Date Payment Succeeded,” will show as 2020-01-13, the date that Sally paid their annual membership.
- You can see a patrons’ full payment history from your page.
Pledge Growth Dashboard
What happens when a patron edits their membership?
- A patron paid for your $120 tier and upgrades in the same month to your $140 tier, they are immediately charged $20 for the difference between the two.
- A patron paid $120 in April and upgrades in June to your $140 tier, only $110 from their initial pledge is left and would make their charge to upgrade $30.
- A patron paid $50 in April 2020 for their annual membership and decreased to $25 in May 2020. They are locked into their $50 membership until their year term expires, however, they will be charged $25 on May 1st, 2021, and immediately be given the access of the lower tier when their annual membership renews.
Refunding annual memberships
Can I issue partial refunds?
If I refund an annual membership, will the patron still have access?
Important: This differs from refunding a monthly patron – if you refund a monthly patron for a month, they will still have access. This is because creators refund for a variety of reasons. Since annual membership payments are refunded in full, we didn’t think it would be fair to keep the patron’s full year of access if they haven’t paid for it.
Is there a time limit to when I can refund an annual patron?
If you want to refund a patron after 3 months, we recommend arranging that offsite.