In this article, we’ll cover:
What is a custom pledge?
Patrons who want to give more than their tier amount, or want to pledge to a creator on our Lite plan, can pay a custom pledged amount. New patrons won't have the option to make a custom pledge when they select a tier; however, there are three ways that new patrons can create a custom pledge:
- For any new patron looking to join a creator on the Lite Plan or per post billing models will automatically have the option to Make a custom pledge
- For any new patron looking to create a custom pledge before they join a specific tier, they can do so by visiting the creator’s page and scrolling down to their posts. The Become a patron button will appear, directing them to the checkout process. They can choose the Make a custom pledge option there
- For any existing patron looking to edit their pledge amount, they can do so by visiting their active membership settings page. To read more on how patrons can do this in this article on Editing your Membership
What happens when a patron gives a custom pledge?
If a new patron pledges through the Make a custom pledge option, they will not be automatically assigned any tier. That means no rewards will be attached.
If a patron chooses to edit their pledge amount to be a higher custom pledge to their tier, they will not be automatically enrolled into the nearest tier.
Why is $1 the minimum?
Post access for custom pledge patrons
No reward patrons (custom pledge patrons) only have access to posts you publish for "All patrons”
- For example, a patron with a custom pledge of $2, that is not in a $2 tier, will not have access to the $2 tier post content. The patron will only have access to posts you publish for “All patrons”.
If a patron would like to edit their pledge and move to the correct tier, they can follow the steps in this help guide: I’m locked out of posts I should find
Note: If you'd like your posts to be locked to patrons who are paying you outside of your tiers, you'll want to publish your posts for "Select tiers." Learn more about posting for All patrons on this article.
How to find who your “no reward” or custom pledge patrons are
Patrons who pay you with a custom pledge are not tied to a specific tier (if you’ve created tiers). These patrons can be found with the status “No tier” in your Relationship Manager because their payment is not tied to benefits offered within a tier. Because they’re not part of a tier, they aren’t tracked for benefits and won’t have access to certain benefits, like Discord roles.
How to filter no reward pledges
Using your Relationship Manager filters you can generate a list of all of your active no reward patrons.
To get your list of patrons, set the following filters:
- Active membership type
- No reward
- You can set any time period you'd like
Q: Can creators change the custom pledge amount above the minimum $1?
A: At this time there’s no ability to increase, decrease, or remove the $1 minimum. The $1 minimum allows patrons to still support a creator even if they cannot join a higher priced tier or they’re OK with not receiving a reward.
Q: Can I move a patron (who has not selected a reward) to the appropriate tier for their pledge?
A: A creator cannot move patrons into tiers. There are a few reasons for this, but primarily because it can affect a patron’s billing.
If you have a patron that is not within the tier, and they’d like to be, please feel free to share this helpful guide we created to guide patrons through editing to the correct Tier: I’m locked out of posts I should find