Please note that while these examples are in US Dollar ($), it is possible that you could be billed in Euro (€) or British Pounds (£) depending on the currency that the creator bills in.
In this article we’ll go through:
- How to see a patron’s payment history
- How to read a patron’s payment history
- What a declined status means
How do I see the payment history of a patron?
Step 1: While logged in to your Patreon account, head to your .
- Membership type: You can choose to see Active patrons, Former patrons, patrons whose cards have been Declined, or Followers.
- Rewards: This shows you the tier a patron is in. You can choose to filter for all patrons that chose No Rewards, or patrons in any of your tiers.
- Pledges: You can filter which patrons you’d like to view based on the amount they pay.
- Charge Statuses: You can filter by Paid, Refunded, Declined, or patrons that have been marked for Fraud. (learn more about patrons marked as Fraud )
Step 3: Click on any patron’s name to pull up their profile details on the right hand side of your manager.
How do I read my patrons’ payment history?
- Paid: This means the payment was successful.
- Declined: This means the card was declined by the patrons’ bank. Learn more about declines, here.
- Upgraded: The patron has successfully increased their payment amount or tier level.
- Downgraded: The patron has successfully decreased their payment amount or tier level.
- Deleted: Means that the patron deleted their membership.
- Repledged: Means they’ve become your patron again.
- Refunded: Means that particular bill has been refunded. You can see a full list of every refund initiated on your account, by heading to the Refunds page of your Income section.
- Tier deleted: When you’ve removed a Tier from your page. When you delete a Tier, it doesn’t delete a patrons’ payment, so be sure to communicate the change with patrons ahead of time. Learn more about retiring a Tier, .
What does a declined bill mean?
Here are a few common reasons why patrons’ payments might decline:
- If the patron’s credit card details are outdated – if a patron gets a new card with a new CVV, or expiration date, this will cause the payment to decline.
- If the patron is attempting to use a prepaid “gift” card — we currently don’t support prepaid cards.
- PayPal declines - the patron may need to update their payment details with their PayPal wallet. If a patron has revoked access, or their bank does not permit the purchase, they may need to add a new funding method to their PayPal wallet.
Did you take a break?
If you’ve taken a break from charging your patrons by pausing payments you’ll see patrons’ payment history skips over that month.
The patron may have paused their payment – this feature is now deprecated
Prior to Month Date 2018, patrons could pause a month of payment. We deprecated this ability because we saw that patrons opted to extended their pause, and the intended purpose of giving patrons a break for a month wasn’t working.
If you see gaps in a patrons’ payment history before Month date 2018, this may be why.
They may have cancelled and then resubscribed
You’ll see this denoted with “Deleted” and “Repledged” in the Status column.
Q: Why is this information useful?
The details in a patron’s payment history will help in benefits delivery, particularly if you charge your patrons per creation as it lets you know exactly which posts patrons are paying for.
These details will also help you better understand patron behavior. If you notice trends in Downgrades, or Upgrades, this can serve as an opportunity to hone in on what content your patrons value most.