While your membership payment is declining, access to your creator’s patron-only posts and benefits will be locked until the payment is resolved. We’re here to help you regain access and keep supporting this creator whose work you value.
In this guide, we'll go through retrying your payment in these ways:
- Steps for updating a credit card on file
- How to transfer payments to a new credit card or PayPal account
- Frequently asked questions about declined payments
How do I switch to a new payment method?
Step 2: Click the Add Card or Add PayPal button depending on which payment method you'd like to transfer your memberships over to.
Step 3: In the pop-up window enter your new card details, or PayPal information. Follow the prompts and click the Submit button to confirm.
Step 4: IMPORTANT – Transfer existing memberships from your old payment method to your new payment method by clicking the Transfer Memberships button next to your old payment method. Unless you transfer your memberships to your new payment method, payments deductions will continue to be retried on your old payment method.
Step 5: Once you've added your new payment method, click the Billing History option from the upper menu.
Step 6: Click the Retry button next to your failed payment. If the payment continues to declined, contact your bank or PayPal directly to ensure nothing is blocking our retry. Ask that they process future authorisations and charges from Patreon*Membership.
Why was my payment declined?
The most common reasons are expired payment information, incorrectly entered payment details, insufficient funds, or in some cases, the issuing bank has blocked the charge. You'll want to reach out to your bank or PayPal directly to make sure everything is accurate and nothing is blocking the charge.
If your payment is being declined, you'll want to reach out to your bank and ask that they accept all future charges from Patreon*Membership moving forward.
Will you try to process my payment again?
We automatically retry declined membership payments, so if your payment method is in good standing, you will receive another email notifying you of a successful charge within a day or two. If you'd like to speed up the process, you also have the option of clicking retry from your billing history once you update your payment details.
What if PayPal is declined?
If your membership payment is declined by PayPal, reach out to PayPal to ensure nothing is blocking payments to your creator(s).
- If you’ve ever blocked or cancelled Patreon from processing PayPal payments, you’ll need to reach out directly to PayPal in order to reestablish our ability to process any payments via PayPal for your account. Visit the PayPal help centre to contact their support team for assistance on your declined payments on Patreon.
- If you've filed a PayPal dispute with Patreon in the past, you'll need to update your PayPal wallet to use a different funding source for future Patreon payments. Filing a dispute with PayPal for a charge revokes our access to process payments on that PayPal funding source.