Selecting my preferred currency
To support Patreon's global community, we offer payments in different currencies. There are 2 places where you can choose one of our supported currencies as your currency:
- When you start your creator page. During the page creation process, you’ll be prompted to choose your currency
- After you’ve launched your page. You can change currencies once every 6 months from the Getting Paid section of your page editor
The currency you choose is what we will base your tier conversions on.
What will patrons experience?
If we support the patron's currency, your tier prices are converted from your currency into their currency. They won’t experience any additional foreign transaction fees.
If a patron’s bank operates in a currency that we don’t currently support, their processing currency will default to USD. As they are paying in a currency different from that of their local bank account, their bank may charge them an additional foreign transaction fee.
When you set the price of your tiers, you’ll have the opportunity to preview your tier prices in other currencies we support from the tier editor.
Frequently asked questions
Why would I want to bill in a currency other than USD?
There are several reasons why you may want to bill in your currency of choice. Perhaps you reside in a country other than the US and would like to receive your earnings in local currency. Or, a large portion of your patron base already transacts in one of these currencies. There is an additional 2.5% processing fee on patron payments made in a currency other than your payout currency. Adjusting your payout currency based on your patron base may help reduce your overall fee percentage. We would recommend accounting for these reasons when choosing your currency.
What if I want to change my billing currency before I launch?
You can change your billing currency once every 6 months with the instructions below:
- While logged in to your creator account, click on the My Page button from the left sidebar navigation
- While on your page, click on the Page controls “…” button and go to Edit Page
- Click on the Getting paid link from the menu bar
- Click the Change currency button to start the process
- Follow the prompts step-by-step to change your currency
Can my patrons choose their currency?
Patrons can choose one of our supported currencies as their default processing currency. We’ll display your tiers at a converted price for their currency, based on your currency.
To learn more about how we convert your tier prices visit our help center article: How tiers are converted into other currencies