- Starting an annual membership (if available with the creator)
- Switching from monthly to annual membership
- Your next billing date
- Making changes to your membership
- What to expect when you cancel auto-renewal
- How refunds work at Patreon
Joining a creator’s page with an annual membership
- Click the link for the annual discount, directly below the Join button:
a. You'll also be able to compare the creator’s monthly and annual options on the checkout page before you confirm your membership.
- On the checkout page, you’ll see the details of your membership, including; your billing method, and your auto-renewal details. Be sure to review these details closely – you may want to print or screenshot the page for your records.
- Confirm your membership – after you confirm, you’ll be charged your annual membership in full, immediately.
Switching from monthly to annual membership
- While logged in to Patreon.com hover over your profile icon in the top-right corner, and select Manage memberships.
- From your Active memberships page click Edit next to your membership details for the creators.
- The checkout page should look familiar to you – directly under the page header, you’ll see the option to toggle between monthly, or annual membership.
- Select the annual option and click Update.
Please note, that you’ll be charged for the entire year up front.
When will I be charged next?
- If you start an annual membership on November 18th, 2020 and pay $19.20 for the year. You’ll be charged $19.20 upon confirming, and will have access to the creator’s patron only content for your tier immediately. Your annual membership automatically renews and you’ll be charged $19.20 again on December 1st, 2021. Your annual membership will automatically renew on the 1st of December each year thereafter.
Making changes to an annual membership
Make changes from your Active memberships page
- While logged in to your Patreon.com account, hover over your profile icon in the top-right corner and select Manage memberships from the drop-down menu.
- In your page, locate the membership you would like to make changes to.
- Click Edit next to the membership.
- To switch to a different tier for your next billing date, click Edit in the “summary” section of the checkout page.
- Select your new tier.
- Review the details on the checkout page and confirm.
Make changes from your My membership tab
- While logged in to your Patreon.com account, go directly to your creator’s page.
- Click into the My membership tab.
- Click “Show more tiers” to see all of the tiers the creator offers.
- To switch to a different tier for your next billing date, select a different tier.
- Review the details on the checkout page and confirm.
Increasing your annual membership
- If you paid for a $120 tier and upgrade in the same month to a $140 tier, you pay $20 for the difference between the two.
- If you paid $120 in April and upgrade in June to a $140 tier, only $100 from your initial pledge is left and would make your charge to upgrade $40.
- Say you joined on July 12th 2020, and would like to change your membership after your year of membership. Your year membership term will automatically renew on August 1st. You can cancel your membership closer to August 1st 2021, say July 30th (PST). Come August 1st (PST), you’ll be able to repledge at any tier level you’d like.
I cancelled and would like to repledge – will I be charged?
Unless you cancel and rejoin in the same month you started your annual membership, you can expect a prorated charge for extending your annual membership. When you join or rejoin a creator's membership at their annual offering you'll have a year of membership starting from that confirmation.
- Let's say you join a creator's annual membership for $20.16 USD for a year ($1.68/ month) on January 10th 2021. You cancel on January 10th because you only want a year of membership and your year of membership will complete at the end of January 2022. If come March you decide to rejoin and keep paying annually, you'll see an immediate charge of $3.36 USD. This charge extends your membership terms, and your membership will renew come April 1st 2022.
Cancelling an annual membership
- Hover over your profile icon in the top-right corner, and click on Manage memberships from the drop-down menu.
- On your page, click Edit next to the annual membership you’d like to cancel.
- Directly under the update button, click Edit or Cancel payment. This will bring up a pop-out window where you can switch tiers, manage your payment methods, or Cancel your payment.
- Click the Cancel your payment button to confirm.
Will I be refunded after I cancel?
- Let’s say you start an annual membership on February 6th, 2021. In June, you decide that after the year, you no longer want to be a patron. You cancel automatic renewal of your annual membership on Jun 11th. You’ll still be an active patron until March 2022, and you will keep your access to the creator’s patron only posts and any benefits they may offer for the entire year.
Patreon has a No Refunds policy for Annual Plans, absent extraordinary circumstances which are reviewed and granted at Patreon’s discretion. You are supporting a creator for their past and future work, and getting access to content during your term. We cannot guarantee you will always like the quality or quantity of past or future work, or that creators will have completed new work within the year’s period, and these factors do not provide you with an automatic refund.
If for any reason you need to request a refund for your annual membership, you’ll need to contact your creator directly with that request. We will not make the decision to refund a patron on behalf of creators, however, you can read our recommendations on how to go about requesting one from your creator, here: Can I get a prorated refund from my creator?