This article details what it means to be a free member, what you can expect when you join for free, and how you can upgrade at any time.
Who can join for free?
All fans can join for free if their creator has a free offering listed on their page. Some creators may only show their paid options prominently on their Patreon. You’ll know a creator offers this option if you see a Join for free button on their page.
What can I access when I join for free?
When you join for free, you get updates about a creator’s posts directly to your inbox. Never miss an announcement or content that's exclusive to Patreon!
Upgrading to a paid membership
Some creators may only offer free membership; however, if your creator does have paid membership offerings, here’s how to upgrade to a paid tier:
Make sure you follow this guide while in your member profile. Click on your profile in the bottom left corner and click on your member profile.
- Click on the creator’s name in the Free Memberships section of the left navigation
- Click on the Upgrade button on the creator’s Patreon
- Click the Join button for the paid tier you’d like to switch to
- Review your billing date and click the Subscribe now button
- Enjoy the perks of your paid membership!
Make sure you follow this guide while in your member profile. You can use the profile switcher to change between your creator and member profile by tapping on your profile picture in the top right corner of the Home tab .
- Tap on the membership icon in the top right corner of the screen, next to your profile picture
- A list of all your memberships in alphabetical order will populate on the screen
- Tap on the membership from this list to go to the full member view of the creator’s Patreon
- Tap on the Upgrade membership button
- Locate the tier you want to upgrade to and tap the Join button, and follow the prompts to make the switch
- Enjoy your paid membership perks!
When you join for free, the creator will see your email address on their end and your member profile name if you have an account.
There’s no commitment to upgrade to a paid membership. You can stay for free as long as the creator offers it and as long as you’d like.
There are a few reasons why you might not be able to comment on a post you have access to:
- Your account email still needs to be verified: To add comments on a post you have access to, you’ll first need to verify your account email.
- Comments are disabled: Creators can disable post comments.
- Upgrade to add a comment: The creator has set comment access to Only paid members
- You may have sent too many comments recently: If you sent a lot of comments recently, come back later and try again